Exporting Help Items
Help items can be exported as a whole as a CSV file. This is helpful if you need to analyze or report on your catalog of help items, or you can use the file to create a SharePoint list of help items that you can publish in a “Help” site. If you have custom help items that you want to move to another farm, or would like to backup your help content, you can “Export selected content” as a .json file, which is the required file format for importing back into VisualSP.
To Export Help items:
- From the VisualSP Help window, click on Click here to view the entire gallery of help items.
- If you want to export ALL Help items, click on the “Export as CSV” icon at the bottom of the screen.
- If you would like to export only your custom Help items, use the Customization Status column and filter to show only “Custom” to narrow the results.
- Select the Help items either individually or by clicking the Select All icon at the top of the column.
- Click on the Export Selected Items button.
- A .json file will be downloaded to your computer.
Importing Help Items
- In your new environment, open up the gallery of help items as you did in Step 1 above.
- Click on the Import Items button.
- In the Import Help Items window, select the .json file you downloaded in Step 5 above. Click Import.
- You will see an Import Successful message popup on your screen. Your Help items were successfully imported.
Exporting/Importing Individual Help Items
There is also the option of exporting and importing individual Help items.
- Put in Edit mode the Help item you would like to export. Click the Export button. The Help item will be downloaded as a .json file.
- Next, open your new environment, open the VisualSP Help menu, Enable Edit Mode from the hamburger menu, and click the Add Help Item button.
- At the bottom of the screen, click on Import.
- Click Yes to the Unsaved Changes message.
- Choose the .json file you downloaded earlier. Click Import.
- You will see an Import Successful message.
- Click Save.
Your Help item is now available in your new environment.